Monday, March 26, 2007

We're off to see Hohoe, and the wonderful Wli Falls!

Sorry it’s been so long since my last entry… Things to do, people to see, you know?

A weekend or two ago I headed to Hohoe (pronounced ho-ho-we) with my new American volunteer friend, Kevin. I was on my way to the bus station to head off by myself and I got a call from him asking me to buy him a ticket! I was pretty stoked to have some company. The station we left from was a tiny one behind a market, one which noone seemed to know existed. I had gone there before to buy my ticket, but on the day of departure, my trotro dropped me in a different area so I got slightly lost. One problem with asking a Ghanaian for directions is that they will give you an answer even if they don’t know! It had rained the day before so the whole place was a pile of mud and grey slush, which, as you can imagine is a bunch of fun walking through in thongs and shorts! I was covered. Before I reached the station I needed to be at, I had already walked through the market 3 times, walked through 2 trotro stations, and even been taken by a lady to the main bus station in Accra – 20mins away by trotro! I’m sure you can feel the frustration I was feeling at the time!

Once I finally found the station and met up with Kevin, I was much happier. He had had a hard time finding the place too, so we vented our frustrations before buying some bananas and relaxing. The bus was only an hour late and then we were on our way to Hohoe! The bus ride was interesting,
between everyone screaming at the driver to stop so they could pee on the side of the road and the bus suddenly braking and swerving just as we had dozed off. We met 2 Danish girls on the bus who wanted to stay at the same place we did, so we ended up sharing a taxi and eating dinner with them. They had some crazy stories about traveling through Africa!

The next morning, we headed off early for the Wli Falls, the main attraction near Hohoe. It’s a pleasant 45 minute walk through a forest, and then in front of you are the magnificent waterfalls! They certainly were majestic. There are a huge number of bats that live there so the sound of the place was a wonderful mix of rushing
water, bats squeaking and forest noises. We were there so early that we had the whole place to ourselves for a good hour. It was lovely and relaxing. We were even happier about it when we walked back to base and passed about 2 busloads of tourists that we missed!

On the trotro ride back to Accra, we sat next to one of ‘our people’, a guy from Wales. We had some heated political discussions which made the ride much faster! Overall, a fantastic weekend was had by all.



  1. Me and Kevin on the bus to Hohoe, looking excited
  2. Street sellers trying to sell us bread on our way there
  3. The road from Hohoe to the Wli Falls
  4. Kevin looking slightly less excited, squished into the share taxi with 2 other people in the back
  5. The majestic falls
  6. Women and children washing in the river in the forest
  7. Good picture

2 comments:

Adam and Eva said...

We just thought we'd post here to see what it feels like being first.

Nana Gabe said...

What a feeling.