Monday, February 19, 2007

A lot to Du, and a lot to Bai...worst joke ever?

And a lot to see if you really like looking at construction sites! Looking back through my photos I can see a lot of awesome stuff about Dubai, but while I was there, construction is all I felt like I was seeing..

I went on a desert safari!! I was in a 4WD with an English-Pakistani family and a Japanese couple on their honeymoon. On our way to the camp we were headed to, we drove at about 160kph along a straight road. The driver said 'it's okay, there are no cameras on this road.' Okay for HIM maybe! We went sand-duning - driving over sand dunes really fast. It was so much fun, but my palms were sweating at the same time. At one point, the driver over-steered and we went over the edge of a dune. When he went to correct it, we went WAY over the other side and ended up sliding down sideways! So scary. The scariness wasn't helped by the driver laughing nervously and all the other people driving past with looks on their faces like 'OH MY GOD should we be helping them?' At that point though, the mother of the family started complaining that her husband has a heart complaint and we couldn't do that again. After that we watched all the other people having fun skidding all over the place, while we drove over the easy parts. At the time I was thankful because my heart was still thumping, but now I wish I'd been in another car!

The next day, I went on the Big Bus Tour! It was a good way to get around the city and see the beaches. I met an English couple and an Australian woman on my journey. I saw two awesome souqs (markets), the Burj Al Arab (that amazing "7-star" hotel shaped like a sail) and Jumeriah beach! On the tour I also found out some cool stuff, like that the government pays for all of the people's water bills and half of their electricity, construction goes on in Dubai 24 hours a day across 2 shifts (unlucky for the people working!), and 2/3 of the world's cranes are currently in Dubai! In the near future they are building a 5-star hotel with 6500 rooms. Is that even possible? I think the biggest there currently has about 1000.. It will of course be the tallest, biggest and best hotel in the world.

Unfortunately this computer won't let me upload any pictures so you'll have to wait..

xx

5 comments:

Frankie. said...

i'm not surprised that 2/3 of all the cranes in the world are in Dubai.. always trying to out-do New Zealand!

man your safari driver sounds a bit like me...

Julie's back home.... but had a fantastic time... said...

2/3 of the world's cranes!!..that gives us just a bit of a glimpse into what construction must be going on over there! Insane!
..and yeh Paul, the driving skills did sound kinda familiar.. always in control, its just everyone else who's looking a teensy bit scared..lol

Have a fantastic first day at work Lee! I bet your first day there is somewhat different to my first day I had today at my work.. lol. I loved mine, and I'm sure you will too.

Tobias said...

Dubai sounds both good and bad, but i'm leaning more towards the bad. The redevelopment on North Terrace is annoying enough, 24/7 Construction all over in Dubai would actually be intense!!

I just ate skittles

Adam and Eva said...

Aren't cranes great. Hope everything goes well for you.

Nana Gabe said...

Those cranes can surely fly it is dubai after all. Sounds like a very interesting place to not go to. Your blogs are very broken up Your earlier ones were too. I am missing a lot of what you are writing . It is frustrating. Is anyone else having the same problem ?